Selected Families and Individuals


William Penrose Proudfoot

It is said that James Albert Proudfoot, son of John Gibson's first wife Harriet, shop a son of the second wife. If this is correct then it may have been William whom James shot. Mary and James were then dispached to boarding school.

John Gibson Proudfoot

The passing of Mr J. G. Proudfoot. "The Tweed" Obituary.
Death claimed c very well known and respected old resident of Murwillumbah yesterday when Mr. John Gibson Proudfoot passed peacefully away. The old gentleman, who had reached the great age of 89, recently contracted bronichia trouble and this, aided by senile decay, was the immediate cause of the death. The late Mr. Proudfoot came to Murwillumbah a quarter of a century ago, when , so to speak, Murwillumbah was only in the making. Establishing himself as a general store keeper, he, by strict attention to business and by the manifestation of those virtues always associated with a christian mind, won the esteem and respect of all who knew him. Broadminded and tolerant in every way, he led his own exemplary life and left others to lead theirs without hinderance or hurt. The late Mr Proudfoot was a native of Scotland, his first home being in a small village outside Edinburgh. He came to Australis over 60 years ago, settling in Geelong (Melbourne). Prior to this he had spent three years in the United States and Canada. Leaving Geelong he went to the western District of Victoria and thence to the Murray River country. He spent some 18 years in the famous Riverina District, principally in Euston, NSW and Mildura Vic. He cane to the Tweed in October 1898 and, as already stated, established a successful business in town, now conducted by his son Mr W.A.Proudfoot. Realising that old age was creeping upon him, Mr Proudfoot retired from active business pursuits. His wife, who was a native of Cornwall, predeceased him four years ago. Of the decendants, four are living, viz: Mrs. Gordon of Mildura (Vic), Mrs J. Poole (Murwillumbah), Mrs Smailes (Murwillumbah) and Mr. W.A.Proudfoot (Murwillumbah). A son of Mr James Proudfoot, died in Adelaide a year ago, whilst a daughter Miss Susan Proudfoot, died here about 16 years ago.

Frederick George Lindsay

Lindsay - Bevan
July 20th 1909, Church of England, Hay New South Wales. Frederick George Lindsay, second son of H. L. Lindsay of Hay and (deceased) Mrs Lindsay of Geelong to Elizabeth Grace (Betty) 3rd daughter of H. J. Bevan of Queensland and Mrs Bevan of Hay.

Hay paper cutting.
A quiet wedding took place at St Pauls Pro-cathedral on Tuesday morning, the participating parties being members of families well known in the district. The bridegroom was Mr Fred Lindsay of Mildura, second son of the late H.L.Lindsay, and of Mrs Lindsay, now of Geelong, and the bride was Elizabeth Grace Bevan, third daughter of Mrs C.Bevan of the Marked Tree Paint, Hay. The ceremony was conducted by the Rev. Canon Richards. The bride who was given away by her brother, wore white chiffon taffeta silk, which was completed with wreath and veil: and the bridesmaid, Miss Carrie Bevan, sister of the bride, wore white silk. Mr J.H.Blanche attended the bridegroom as the best man. After the ceremony the wedding breakfast was partaken of at the residence of the brides' mother. Late in the morning Mr and Mrs Lindsay left by train for Melbourne en route to their home. The bride received many pretty and valuable presents from numerous friends of herself and husband.

From the Death certificate: Frederick George Lindsay lived in Victoria 35 years and 26 years in NSW

Elizabeth Grace Bevan

Bible given to Elizabeth by her mother on her wedding day has the inscription "Presented to my daughter
Elizabeth Grace in loving remerberances of her wedding day From her affectionare mother C. Bevan -
In thee O Lord do I put my trust
O praise the Lord for he is good.

Henry John Bevan

BEVAN is a Welsh name, and during Cromewell's time they were given grants of land in Ireland at a place called "Lemon side" which is just outside Limerick. The Bevan shield was a sheath of wheat. (From notes on the Bevan family give to me by Maree Dingwall (nee Bevan) October 2001.

Henry John BEVAN came to Australia around 1858 at the age of 18 years. He died in 1936/8 at the age of 96. He was the manager of Thomas Simpson's brewery and in 1872 he bought the Excelsior Brewery (renamed the Red Lion Brewery) in partnership with George Elliott. He also built a house which is now in Clay street off Lindsay road, Hay

Emily Bevan

May have been the oldest born on 30th August 1870. She never married and lived at Bevandale in Hay, NSW.

William Bevan

Went to Western Australia with Robert. He drowned but think there was a son named Henry.